15 minutes + One pan + 4 ingredients = hearty, egg-free, grain-free, gluten-free breakfast that is loaded with vegetables and will keep you going strong all morning long. While I love eating eggs for breakfast, I’ve been wanting more variety lately and came up with this alternative. Because of the high amount of healthy fat in the avocado, it actually keeps me going longer and keeps hunger away all morning. Plus, it’s super easy, and what’s not to love about getting a jump-start on your vegetable intake for the day?
I know, you may be thinking “vegetables for breakfast? I just can’t do it.”, but trust me, it’s much easier to eat the amount of vegetables you should when you include vegetables with breakfast. Did you know that sweet bell peppers have more Vitamin C than oranges? I know, crazy, huh? Most people think citrus fruits are where it’s at when it comes to Vitamin C intake, but 1/2 cup of fresh chopped yellow sweet pepper has just over TWICE the amount of Vitamin C as 1/2 cup of fresh orange sections, with half the calories to boot. What’s not to love about that?
I can’t help but bring up one more nutrition benefit of this tasty little breakfast. Many people think the only way to get a good dose of fiber is to eat grains. I’m not against all grains, however, grains are not always the most effective way to get fiber. Each serving of my Pepper-Prosciutto Breakfast Avocado contains a whopping 6 grams of fiber! That’s almost one-fourth of the amount of fiber adults should be getting in a day, and double the amount as in a slice of 100% whole wheat toast. I know, exciting, right?
I guarantee this breakfast will keep you going all morning long…that, and a large cup of coffee!
P.S. This tastes great for a quick and easy lunch or dinner too. Enjoy!
Pepper-Prosciutto Breakfast Avocado
This quick and easy, veggie-packed, Pepper-Prosciutto Breakfast Avocado is flavorful, satisfying, and will keep you going all morning long because of the heart-healthy, fiber-rich avocado.
Write a review
- 1 small yellow sweet pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- ½ cup slivered onion (1/4 medium)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 very thin slices prosciutto (about 1 ½ ounces total)
- 1 medium avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet cook yellow pepper and onion in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn heat to medium-low if vegetables brown too quickly.
- Stack prosciutto slices. Roll up tightly, starting at a long side. Thinly slice crosswise. Add prosciutto to pepper mixture. Cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Place avocado halves on two serving plates. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with pepper mixture.
- 2 servings
Nutrition Info (per serving)
- 236 cals, 8 g pro, 15 g carb, 17 g fat, 22 mg cholesterol, 3 g sat fat, 6 g fiber, 652 mg sodium
Fresh Food Bites https://www.freshfoodbites.com/