With summer over and school days happening whether we like it or not, I’m guessing I’m not the only one with the crazy hectic schedule that comes with school, kids, and all the activities. Am I right? Enter this 30-minute, quick and healthy recipe of Mexican Cauliflower Rice Skillet Dinner to take all your “what’s for dinner” troubles away.
One thing that I know to be true, is that with a full schedule, it can be SO EASY to let healthy cooking and healthy eating slide by the wayside. Another thing I know is true, and I know you know it too (even if it’s hard to admit!), is that when we let the healthy cooking and healthy eating slide by the wayside, we are so much more likely to feel drained, tired and generally unable to feel on top of our game. I don’t know about you, but when I’m not feeling on top of my game, all areas of my life suffer, including being a good parent and spouse, my work, and my general outlook on life.
What’s the solution? Keeping this 30-minute, quick and healthy recipe in my back pocket to pull out on those days when there is not a lot of time to cook, and yet I know we all need to eat something nourishing so we can feel great!
I decided to take my most popular recipe (this Dirty Cauliflower Rice) and add a little Mexican twist to the flavor profile. I swapped in my favorite brand of salsa for the pasta sauce and added some classic Mexican toppers for even more flavor.
If you loved the original Dirty Cauliflower Rice and you love Mexican food, give this Mexican Cauliflower Rice Skillet Dinner a try and please leave me a comment about how you liked it! Enjoy!
Mexican Cauliflower Rice Skillet Dinner How-To Photos:
Start with a head of cauliflower
After cutting into florets, pulse the florets in a food processor until the cauliflower resembles rice.
Cook ground beef (or turkey or bison!) in a skillet with onion and sweet pepper. Drain off the fat and then add ground cumin and your favorite salsa. Stir together and then transfer to a bowl.
This is my favorite brand of salsa! I love the ingredient list because I can understand all of the ingredients!
After removing the meat mixture from the skillet, cook the cauliflower in the same skillet until it is just tender. Add the meat mixture back to the skillet and toss it together.
Add toppers of green onion tops (you will use the white parts in the meat mixture) and cilantro (if desired)!
After washing fresh cilantro, stand it up in a glass of water like you would fresh flowers. Then cover it with a produce bag and store it in the refrigerator.
Top each serving with a simple avocado mash and additional salsa. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over if desired.
Mexican Cauliflower Rice Skillet Dinner
- 3 green onions
- 1 pound ground beef, ground bison, ground turkey, or ground pork
- 1 small sweet pepper (any color) or poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup jarred salsa*, any flavor
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 medium avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- Additional salsa (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Thinly slice the green onions, keeping the white bottoms separate from the green tops. Transfer green tops to a small bowl; set aside for serving. Add white bottoms to a large skillet. Add ground beef and sweet pepper to skillet. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, using a potato masher or wooden spoon to coarsely break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat if necessary.
- Sprinkle meat mixture with cumin. Add salsa. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Transfer meat mixture to a medium bowl; set aside.
- While meat is cooking, place cauliflower florets in a food processor. Cover and pulse until finely chopped (cauliflower should resemble rice).
- In the same skillet used to cook the meat mixture, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add finely chopped cauliflower; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Cook, uncovered, for 5 to 6 minutes or until cauliflower is just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add meat mixture to cauliflower rice. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until combined and heated through.
- In a small bowl combine avocado, lime juice, garlic, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Mash with a fork or potato masher until well combined and to desired consistency.
- To serve, divide cauliflower mixture onto four serving plates. Top with avocado mixture, reserved green onion tops and, if desired, additional salsa and fresh cilantro.