If you love chocolate and are craving a decadent brownie, but you can’t eat gluten or dairy, put this Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownies recipe on the top of your list to make sometime soon!
Brownies are one of those desserts that can work at almost any time of the year! I mean, it’s always chocolate season in my opinion, and brownies are one of my favorite ways to eat chocolate.
What ingredients are needed to make these Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownies?
One goal I had with this gluten free chocolate brownies recipe was to keep the ingredient list short.
So, unlike many gluten free baking recipes, this brownie recipe only uses one type of flour! No need to buy several different gluten free flours for this recipe!
The type of flour used is cassava flour. There are a lot of cassava flour options on the market (and possibly even in larger grocery stores), but my favorite brands to use are Anthony’s, Otto’s, or Bob’s Red Mill.
Here’s a list of all the ingredients you’ll need to make this gluten free chocolate brownies recipe.
- Dairy free dark chocolate chips
- Refined coconut oil
- Coconut sugar
- Cassava flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Coarse salt
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
What are the best dairy free chocolate chips?
Thankfully, there are more and more dairy free chocolate chips on the market all the time!
As with most things related to food, it’s all about perspective. I’ll share my favorite brand of dairy free chocolate chips below, but feel free to experiment so you can find your favorite option!
My favorite brand of dairy free chocolate chips to use is Enjoy Life. I am definitely a dark chocolate fan, and I call for dark chocolate chips in these dairy free chocolate brownies.
If you prefer a milder chocolate, Enjoy Life also makes semisweet miniature chocolate chips, and they would work fine in these chocolate brownies!
What are the steps to make this gluten free dairy free brownies recipe?
Brownies aren’t hard to make, but there are a couple steps that I believe make these gluten free dairy free brownies extra special!
1. These brownies use two different kinds of chocolate – dairy free chocolate chips and unsweetened cocoa powder. So, in one of the steps, you’ll melt the chocolate.
2. To get a more crackly top on your brownies, the key is to beat the eggs and sugar together REALLY well before adding the other ingredients. The egg/sugar mixture will lighten in color and get slightly thicker after it’s been beaten several minutes, and this is when you’ll know it’s time to move onto the next step.
The other steps to making these gluten free dairy free brownies are straight-forward.
One thing you can do if you like slightly gooey brownies, is to underbake the brownies by 1 to 2 minutes.
Can I make these brownies ahead?
These gluten free dairy free brownies hold well at room temperature for about 2 days. Unlike some gluten free chocolate brownies, they don’t dry out very quickly.
To store at room temperature, place the brownies in an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place.
You can also freeze these chocolate brownies if you need to hold them longer. Place them in a single layer in an airtight container. Freeze up to 1 month for best results.
If you love chocolate but are looking for something different than brownies, I’ve got a few other chocolate recipes (all of them are gluten and dairy free!) that may do the trick for ya! Check them out!
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Boozy Chocolate Truffles
- Zucchini-Almond Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Milkshakes
Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownies
- 2/3 cup dairy free dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup refined coconut oil
- 1 1/3 cups coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup cassava flour*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup dairy free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease edges and corners of a 9×9-inch baking pan (I use refined coconut oil or regular olive oil for this). Set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl combine 2/3 cup chocolate chips and the coconut oil. Microwave, uncovered, on 30% power (medium-low) for 2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate is melted, stirring twice. Set aside about 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture has lightened in color and is slightly thicker.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add melted chocolate to bowl with eggs. Beat until well combined. Add flour mixture all at once to egg mixture. Beat on low speed until well combined. If needed, whisk further to remove any lumps.
- Stir in 1/3 cup chocolate chips. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake** for 20 to 22 minutes or until top is evenly puffed and center looks dry and set. Top should barely spring back when you lightly touch the center.
- Cool brownies completely in pan on a wire rack before cutting.