Are there certain days of the week when you have almost NO time to cook? If so, keep this Easy Mexican Chicken Recipe at the top of your list of quick meal recipes.
As my kids have gotten older and are involved in more activities, our schedule has become busier. Shocking, I know! But, fortunately, most weeks I know the schedule ahead of time so I can plan more easily!
I take advantage of the nights when I have more time to cook to make meals that take a bit more time and possibly prep some foods ahead so I can get dinner on the table more quickly on those nights when I have less time to cook.
But, of course, there are still nights when I need to make a full meal, and I need to get it done really quickly!
Luckily, chicken sheet pan dinners make it easier to get dinner on the table quickly.
When I created this Easy Mexican Chicken Recipe, I couldn’t decide whether to give it an Asian flare or a Mexican flare. Such a dilemma, I know!
In the end, I gave it a Mexican flare and love all of the different possibilities for serving this meal! See below for some ideas. Also, see below for other gluten free dairy free chicken recipes I love and more recipes for chicken sheet pan dinners!
What ingredients do I need to make this Easy Mexican Chicken Recipe?
As I mentioned, this Easy Mexican Chicken Recipe uses a short list of ingredients. Here are the basic ingredients you’ll need:
- Skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- Red bell pepper
- Olive oil (or avocado oil)
- Coarse salt
- Granulated garlic
- Dried oregano
- Ground cumin
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
Besides those ingredients, you may want to serve the chicken and veggies with something, and I’ve listed a few ideas below!
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast in this recipe?
Yes, if you prefer chicken thighs to chicken breasts, then you can easily make that substitution.
Make sure to use skinless boneless chicken thighs. You’ll use the same amount of chicken thighs as you would chicken breast and won’t need to change anything else in the recipe.
How can I serve this Easy Mexican Chicken Recipe?
There are several really delicious ways to serve this easy Mexican chicken recipe! It’s kind of a base recipe that you can customize based on your preferences or those of your family.
Here are some ideas:
- Serve the chicken and veggies over cooked rice or cooked cauliflower rice
- Serve the chicken and veggies in gluten free flour or corn tortillas for quick chicken tacos
- Top the chicken and veggies with guacamole, salsa, and/or chopped fresh cilantro. Feel free to use purchased guacamole and salsa!
- If you love sour cream but need this to be dairy free (like me), I love using So Delicious brand unsweetened coconut yogurt instead of dairy sour cream. It tastes great! Just make sure you get the unsweetened type.
Need more chicken sheet pan dinners recipes?
Love chicken sheet pan dinners? Here are a few more recipes for you!
- Garlic-Mustard Chicken and Vegetables Sheet Pan Dinner
- 5 Ingredient Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken with Broccoli (sheet pan dinner)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
What other gluten free dairy free chicken recipes can I make?
Besides this Easy Mexican Chicken Recipe, here are a few other gluten free dairy free chicken recipes that I love!
- Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
- Dairy Free Chicken Piccata Meatballs
- Chicken Kabobs with Chili-Garlic Barbecue Sauce
- Chicken with Mushroom-Garlic Cream Sauce
- Instant Pot Sesame-Lime Chicken with Coconut Vegetable Quinoa
Next time you need to get dinner on the table in record breaking time, give this Easy Mexican Chicken Recipe a try. It’s so quick and easy and uses a short list of basic ingredients.
Easy Mexican Chicken Recipe (Sheet Pan Dinner)
- 1 ½ pounds skinless boneless chicken breast halves or chicken thighs, cut into 1- to 1 ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1 ½- to 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion (about 1-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 to ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cooked rice, cooked cauliflower rice, or warmed gluten free flour or corn tortillas (optional)
- Guacamole (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Adjust top oven rack to set about 5 inches under the broiler. Preheat the broiler.
- In a large bowl combine chicken, pepper, onion, oil, paprika, salt, oregano, garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper (if using). Toss until chicken and vegetables are well coated with the seasonings. Spread chicken and vegetables in an even layer in a large shallow baking pan (such as a half sheet pan).
- Broil chicken and vegetables 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 13 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. To test chicken with an instant-read thermometer, insert the thermometer into two stacked pieces of chicken (choose the largest two pieces). Temperature should register 165°F.
- If desired, serve chicken and vegetables atop rice or in tortillas as tacos. Top chicken and veggies with guacamole, salsa, and cilantro if desired.